Sunday 24 January 2016

Nivea Men Post Shave Balm as a Primer?!?!

Hey guys!

If you watch beauty YouTubers regularly then you've probably heard about the phenomenon that is the Nivea Men Post Shave Balm in the beauty community at the moment - and if you don't watch beauty YouTubers regularly then you probably don't have a clue what I'm talking about!

NikkieTutorials, (if you don't know who she is go and watch her on YouTube because she's AMAZING!), was the first to discover that the Nivea Men Post Shave Balm was a good primer and that is because of the ingredients. Glycerin is the second highest ingredient and it is this ingredient that helps makeup to stick to your face, making your makeup last longer which equals a good primer!


So as you can imagine literally everyone has been trying this product out as primer, it has been circling on YouTube for quite a while now and I do feel like the last person ever to try it! However to be honest I think it's taken me so long to try it because I really didn't think it would work for my skin type. I have oily skin and I formed the opinion that this product is better for drier skin. I don't know why I think that because it doesn't say anything about it being for dry skin, only that it's for sensitive skin. Being that it has taken me so long to try it out, I have seen countless videos on this product - the majority did have normal or dry skin but a few did have oily skin, and they ALL liked it! How is that even possible?! I was completely baffled that one product, especially a primer, could work for all skin types. So I had to try it for myself, and as I hadn't seen a lot of people with oily skin review this product, I wasn't fully convinced it would work for my oily skin.

I did do a first impressions for the Nivea Men Post Shave Balm on my YouTube channel so check that out if your interested in how it applied, how it looked and how my makeup lasted throughout the day.



In the video I compare the Nivea Men Post Shave Balm to a regular primer that isn't targeted for oily skin or enlarged pores, which are the skin problems I need to target, and to me they performed pretty much the exact same. Which if you really think about it, it's kind of crazy. The regular primer I used was the Maybelline Baby Skin Instant Fatigue Blur which was £7.99 for 22ml and the Nivea Men Post Shave Balm was £5 for 100ml. It's clear which one is better value for money.

In regards to how the Nivea Men performed with my skin type, it actually did a pretty good job! I don't think I gave it enough credit in the video and it didn't make me too oily. I did have to blot but being an oily girl this is just something I have to deal with and I've never found a product that completely controls my oiliness. Considering that I only had to blot once in my first impressions video, and I think that was after 5 hours of my makeup being on was pretty amazing! The only downside is that it didn't fill in my pores. My pores were quite visible but again it wasn't too bad, it didn't exaggerate my pores, they were just visible when you were very close to my face. So again I was impressed because it's not even a primer let alone a pore filling primer! However since filming this video I've used a pore filling primer where I have enlarged pores and the Nivea Men Post Shave Balm everywhere else and this has been an amazing combination! I also have acne prone skin and I was so worried that it would break me out but it didn't so that gives it another thumbs up in my books!


Overall I highly recommend this product, it just seems to work for every skin type which is crazy! It's also so affordable that there is no harm in trying it out, because if you like it, think how much money you are going to save on primers in the future! However if you have enlarged pores you may not completely fall in love with this product because this is not going to fill them in, although you could just do what I'm doing and use this alongside a pore filling primer as this works really well. But if you think using two primers everyday is too high maintenance, I probably wouldn't recommend the Nivea Men Post Shave Balm for you.

Thank you so much for reading and I hope this was helpful!

Danielle xoxo  

No comments:

Post a Comment