Sunday 13 March 2016

Non Beauty Favourites! | February 2016

Hey guys!

This weeks post is going to be my non beauty favourites for the month of February! I did a video for my beauty favourites on my YouTube channel so I will leave that video below if you're interested. Now I know we're already half way into March but I didn't want to do this post until my Beauty favourites had gone up on my YouTube channel so that's why this post is a bit late!



These are more like favourites from both January and February but I didn't want to do a January favourites because I had only just done my yearly favourites and I wouldn't have enough things to talk about. So I just decided to group the two months together but I've called this post my February favourites to save confusion! Also don't judge me because all of my non beauty favourites for these two months seems to be either a drink or a TV program!

We'll start with the TV programs because that's more interesting! :) Don't worry I'm not going to give away any spoilers! 

Making a Murderer

I was a bit late to jump on the Making a Murderer bandwagon but I'm so glad I did! I was completely hooked like most people have been who have watched this program, although I think it does help if you are interested in crime programs/documentaries or just the criminal justice system in general. This was definitely right up my street having studied law and criminology at university.

It basically follows the story of Steven Avery, you may have heard of him but I hadn't until watching this show, and he is wrongfully convicted of a crime in which he spends 18 years in prison. On his release he tries to seek compensation against authorities for the 18 years imprisonment but while this is happening things take a turn for the worse against Steven Avery, but I'm not going to say anymore because I will spoil the program!

It is a TV program but because it is a true story it feels more like a documentary, which I know sounds a bit boring but so much happens in the story that it always keeps you interested. However because so much happens it can be really easy to get lost and it's quite possible that if you leave the room for one minute and come back you may not have a clue what's going on. So it isn't really a TV program that you can just put on in the background - you really have to concentrate so you don't miss anything. If you're into crime programs I would definitely recommend giving this TV show a go!   

Narcos

Unlike Making a Murderer I was VERY late to jump on the Narcos bandwagon! Narcos is based on the story of Pablo Escabar who is the head of a huge drug cartel in Columbia. As I am not familiar with the story of Pablo Escarbar I'm not sure how much of the show actually happened and what is made up for entertainment purposes. So unlike Making a Murderer this show feels more like a TV show than a documentary, that's why I can't be sure how much of it is actually true. 

The story follows the mass production of cocaine in Columbia and how this drug was introduced into America - mainly Miami. I think the show mainly concentrates on the corruption of authoritative figures and the rivalry between the drug gangs in Columbia. It's still along the same lines as Making a Murderer because it's a crime TV show but this show is definitely more for entertainment purposes than Making a Murderer. However a word of warning - I would say that 60% or more of this show has subtitles, but don't let this put you off because it's an amazing show!    

Shadowhunters

I spoke about how much I love The Mortal Instruments book series and how I was excited for the TV show based on these books in my yearly favourites blog post. The books have become one of my favourite young adult books and I was so disappointed by the film, so my initial thought was that the TV series couldn't be any worse than the film. Well I'll admit the TV series didn't start off brilliantly - everything just seemed stiff if that makes sense, but it's been slowly getting better week by week and now I'm really into it! So it's definitely a lot better than the film!

Like all things based on books it doesn't exactly follow what happens and things that happened in the second book have already happened in the series so it doesn't follow the first book and I thought it would seeing as it's the first series. So I don't know what to say about this TV show because we're in the middle of the series and as it's not really following the books I don't want to say anything that could be a spoiler. But what I can say is that if you like the young adult genre and TV shows such as The Vampire Diaries then I really think you'll love this show!  

Deadpool - not a TV program but basically still in the same category!

This is a Marvel film but it definitely isn't your typical Marvel film. Now I love Marvel films, there isn't really one I truly dislike but they can tend to be a bit repetitive and I'm not saying that is a bad thing but it's just nice to have a change sometimes. And Deadpool is definitely that change! It's just completely different, it's definitely a lot more darker and violent and it has a lot more humor, a lot of sarcastic humor. I even liked the way that Deadpool (the character) makes fun of Marvel films and talks to the audience as if he's not in a film - I know that sounds weird and a bit cheesy but trust me it's not. 

However it still does have the typical superhero storyline - boy meets girl, they fall in love, girl gets taken by the bad guys and so on. But the acting and the way it has been filmed just makes it feel so different and fresh. So if you like superhero/Marvel films I definitely think you'll like this film, and I also think Deadpool will appeal to a wider audience who do not necessarily gravitate towards the traditional superhero film.  

Now onto my other favourites which have all been drinks, and if you didn't know I'm obsessed with coffee!

Almond Latte - This isn't a special drink, it's just almond syrup, but I've only recently discovered this syrup on the Starbucks menu - they never used to list the syrups on the menu but now they do so that's how I discovered it. So I'm not sure if this is new or old but it's permanent which is obviously a good thing. Just imagine marzipan and coffee mixed together and that's what this taste like - complete heaven!

Vanilla Bean Macchiato - This is also from Starbucks but I'm almost 100% certain that this is a limited edition drink because they came out with limited edition versions of the classic caramel macchiato last year. They did a vanilla macchiato last year and I wasn't really a fan but this one is vanilla bean - I don't know how it can be much different but it is! To me it's that perfect sweet coffee drink without it being too sweet and it's amazing hot or cold. I just wish they would make this a permanent coffee!


Hot Chocolate with a shot of caramel syrup - I'm not the biggest fan of hot chocolate, it always seems like a good idea but it just never seems to be as nice as the thought of hot chocolate. Over Christmas Starbucks and Costa came out with their Christmas versions of the hot chocolates and I'll admit they were amazing and they always seemed to have some sort of caramel syrup in them. So I decided because the Christmas hot chocolates were limited edition I was going to order a hot chocolate with a shot of caramel syrup and see what its like. OMG it tasted just like the Christmas hot chocolates! So if you loved the Christmas hot chocolates Starbucks and Costa were doing order a hot chocolate with a shot of syrup in it and hopefully it'll be just as amazing!

That's all of my non beauty favourites and hopefully next month there will be more of a variety! :)

Thanks for reading!!

Danielle xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment