Sunday 6 December 2015

Urban Decay Naked Palette Review


Hi guys!


I've decided to review the Urban Decay Naked Palette. Now I know that this palette is not new and has been around for years, but with new eyeshadow palettes coming out nearly every week it's easy for the Naked palette to be overlooked. Everyone wants the new products on the market but there is nothing wrong with a good old classic which this palette definitely is.


In my opinion this is the perfect introduction to high end eyeshadows and even eyeshadow palettes. It was my first proper eyeshadow palette (I had owned cheaper palettes before but I didn't use them as they weren't any good) and this palette was so good that I didn't buy another eyeshadow palette or eyeshadows for approximately 5-6 months. Which, being a makeup addict, is a very long time! I used this palette every single time I did my makeup whatever the occasion because this palette can really do it all, from a very subtle daytime look to a very dramatic evening look.


I always get asked by close family members what eyeshadows or eyeshadow palettes I would recommend and the answer I always give to this question is the Urban Decay Naked Palette, just the original one. Like I said it's the perfect first palette, and also the eyeshadows are very pigmented but extremely blendable (which is sometimes hard to find when eyshadows are very pigmented) and the colours will really suit a wide range of skin tones and eye colours as the eyshadow colours lean towards more warmer toned which tends to be more flattering. Another bonus to this palette is that it comes with an amazing brush which is extremely handy, especially for beginners. 


However there are always downsides to everything and this palette is no exception, but these are just my opinions and not everyone is going to feel the same. The packaging isn't the best and I know a lot of people feel this way. Hopefully you can see by the pictures that the outer material is kind of a velvet/suede material, which looks so pretty when the palette is brand new but it is impossible to keep it looking that way and the palette can start to look shabby through no fault of your own. The other downside, which is a downside to all palettes really, is that there may be shades that you don't like or never use. There is one shade in the palette which I never use and that is Gunmetal. All of the other eyeshadows have a really buttery and smooth texture however for some reason Gunmetal doesn't have this texture which is why I overlook this shade.


I am going to review each individual eyeshadow, however as I've already said, the texture of all of the eyeshadows apart from Gunmetal (which is quite a rough texture) have a very buttery smooth finish so I am not going discuss the texture in the individual reviews.


From left to right - Virgin, Sin, Naked, Sidecar, Buck, Half Baked, Smog, Darkhorse, Toasted, Hustle, Creep, Gunmetal.

Vigin - is an extremely light pink shade in a satin finish and is the perfect brow bone or inner corner highlight as it only has a slight sheen and is not too intense.

Sin - is more of a champagne pink shade in a very frosty shimmer finish. This shade has a very metallic finish which becomes more intense when used with Fix+ and is perfect as an all over lid shade. This is one of my favourite eyeshadows from the palette.

Naked - is a light brown shade in a matte finish and this is an amazing transition shade for any eye look. This is probably my most used eyeshadow from the palette and another favourite. 

Sidecar - is a bronze shade in a very frosty shimmer finish, as with Sin it is a very metallic eyeshadow especially with Fix+ and is perfect all over the lid. This is my number 1 favourite eyeshadow from the palette. 

Buck - is a medium brown shade in a matte finish and is the perfect shade to add depth to the crease. Another favourite eyeshadow of mine from the palette. 


Half Baked - is a pure gold shade in a shimmer finish. This shade can still become quite metallic but it is just not as intense or frosty as Sin or Sidecar. This is a very popular shade from the palette and is even featured in the Naked 2 palette. 

Smog - is a dark brown with gold running through it in a shimmer finish. This is another favourite of mine and is amazing all over the lid and blended into the crease for a simple smokey eye or to deepen up the outer edge of the eyes. 

Darkhorse - is a very dark brown (can look almost black on my skin tone) with gold running through it in a shimmer finish. This shade is basically the darker version of Smog. 

Toasted - this shade is quite hard to describe but it is a mixture of pink, purple and brown and is a shimmer finish. This is a great pop of colour in the palette and looks amazing all over the lid or on the lower lash line for a pop of colour. 


Hustle - is a deep purple brown in a satin finish and looks great when paired with Toasted. 

Creep - is a blue black shade with silver glitter. I assume because of the glitter this is what Urban Decay mean as a sparkle finish. This shade has the least pigmentation out of all the other shades, however this isn't necessarily a bad thing as very pigmented black shades can be difficult to work with. 

Gunmetal - is a blue grey shade with silver glitter and this is also a sparkle finish. The shade of this eyeshadow is gorgeous, it's just a shame about the texture as this is why I tend to overlook this shade. 


A lot of these eyeshadows are available individually, so if there is only one or two you like the look of I would suggest maybe picking up the individual eyeshadows instead of the palette. Individual eyeshadows are £14 each and the palette is priced at £38 and are widely available from most department stores in the UK.

Here are some tutorials I have done on my YouTube channel where I have used this palette so you can see this palette in action!










Hope this review was helpful! :)

Danielle xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment