Sunday 14 February 2016

Cinema Secrets Professional Brush Cleaner | Review & Demo

Hey guys!

I absolutely hate cleaning makeup brushes! I always avoid it which ends up with me not washing my brushes for ages, normally the longest I push it is two weeks. That may seem like a long time to some and not so long to others, but it's a long time for me considering I use my makeup brushes at least 5 days a week. Nothing good comes out of not cleaning your makeup brushes, bacteria can form which can end up giving you spots and it can also affect makeup application. For instant eye makeup, brushes will have remains of previous eyeshadows and this will affect the colour of the new eyeshadow you are using, everything will just start to look muddy and I've also found that I can never do a good winged eyeliner with a dirty brush. Cleaning your brushes isn't really something you should avoid, because the process is unavoidable I think it's best for me to make it as easy as possible so I'll be more willing to do it.

Before I get into the review and demo of the Cinema Secrets brush cleaner I'm just quickly going to tell you how I cleaned my makeup brushes before getting it. I used to use Johnson's baby shampoo (it didn't matter which type because they all worked fine) and I would either wash my brushes under the tap or fill up a bowl of warm water so I could watch TV whilst washing my brushes. This process of washing brushes is quite time consuming but I found using the baby shampoo was the most affordable way of washing them. Then I would just leave them flat on a towel and let them air dry. Most of the smaller brushes would be dry the next day but some of the bigger face brushes could take up to 2-3 days to completely dry. I don't have the biggest brush collection and I use most of my brushes everytime I do my makeup so if I can't use them for 2-3 days whilst they're drying that's a problem. Even though I hated actually washing my makeup brushes because it was so time consuming, it was actually the long drying time that prompted me to look for an alternative.

I'd been hearing a lot of good things about the Cinema Secrets brush cleaner and the main benefit was that it was so quick to use and the brushes were dry in roughly about 10 minutes. This sounded like the exact thing I wanted but a quick google search told me it wasn't available in the UK. This always happens when I really want something! So I just persevered with washing my makeup brushes with baby shampoo.

As soon as I found out that I couldn't have this brush cleaner I kept hearing more and more about it and how amazing it was, it was like it was being rubbed in my face that I couldn't have it! So I then went on a mission and was determined to find a way of getting this brush cleaner to me without it being too expensive. I ended up getting it from ebay and it cost me £39 including delivery, which I know is quite expensive for just a brush cleaner, but it is a huge bottle and when I did the maths it actually worked out cheaper than the MAC brush cleanser which I had purchased a few times.

I just want to say that I'm so glad that I took the plunge and spent that amount of money because it is now so quick and easy to wash my brushes! I've included a step-by-step demo of how I use the brush cleaner because it's easier for you to just see what I do rather than me explaining it. You don't need to use a lot of the brush cleaner either and because I don't have loads of brushes this brush cleaner will last me for ages, I'm hoping it will last me a year and I really think it will.

Demo of the Cinema Secrets Brush Cleaner:

This is my set up and is everything I need when I'm cleaning my brushes. I have my dirty brushes, brush cleaner, a towel to place the brushes on once they've been cleaned, kitchen towel and a small bowl/ramekin to put the brush cleaner in. (The glass ramekin is actually from an empty GU pudding).
I pour a small amount of the brush cleaner into the ramekin. I usually have to refill, but I do so in small amounts to avoid any waste as it was so expensive!
I tear a few pieces of kitchen towel off and put them in front of me because this is what I use to wipe clean my brushes. You can use a towel for this instead of kitchen towel but the makeup will stain your towel so keep that in mind. Hopefully this will make more sense in the next couple of pictures.







This is my dirty brush before I use the Cinema Secrets brush cleaner, as you can see it's very dirty. I used this as my example as it was dirtier than the two brushes you can see at the bottom of the image that I had already cleaned.
First you dip your makeup brush into the brush cleaner.
Then rub the makeup brush on the kitchen towel (or towel) in circular and windshield wiper motions. Don't be too rough with this process because you don't want to ruin your brushes.
As you can see the makeup is coming off the makeup brush and being left on the kitchen towel. You may need to repeat the last few steps depending on how dirty your brush is but in my experience it's normally only the larger face brushes where you need to repeat these steps.

As you can see my makeup brush is now perfectly clean and looks brand new! Then all I do is place the brush on the towel to dry which takes about 10 minutes, maybe a tiny bit longer for bigger brushes.
It really is that quick and easy to clean my makeup brushes since I've had the Cinema Secrets brush cleaner. I'm even thinking about doing a brush cleaning video on my YouTube channel just to prove how quick cleaning makeup brushes with this brush cleaner is because obviously you can't tell how quick it was from the pictures. 

I would highly recommend this brush cleaner! Also an added bonus is that it smells like vanilla, so then your brushes smell like vanilla which in my books is a good thing! I was worried it would have a strong alcohol like smell. 

This brush cleaner is available from Sephora and is $36 for the 32oz size which is the largest available. However Sephora do not ship this product to the UK which is why I purchased mine from ebay and the prices on ebay vary.

Hope this review and demo was helpful! :)

Danielle xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment