Sunday 7 February 2016

Too Faced Chocolate Bar Palette | Review & Swatches

Hey guys!

I've only done one other full palette review and swatches and that was on the Urban Decay Naked Palette so I thought it was only right that I should do my other favourite palette which is the Too Faced Chocolate Bar Palette.


This palette is full of neutral colours and has a couple of pops of colour which is why I love this palette because you can make so many different eye looks. You really do get your moneys worth. This palette is full of warm colours which I prefer over cool tones as I think they are more flattering. If you prefer cooler tone eyeshadows check out the other editions in the Too Faced Chocolate Bar Palette range as they contain more cooler tone eyeshadows.


There are positives and negatives to this palette, which I have listed down below. I have also done a swatch of all of the individual eyeshadows and given a little review on all of them. Remember these are just my opinions and what I like and dislike about the palette won't be the same as what someone else likes and dislikes.



Positives:
1. The palette palette costs £39 and this sounds like a lot but there are 16 eyeshadows in the palette which works out at just under £2.50 per eyeshadow! That's like drugstore prices for a high end product!

2. I go back and forth between this palette and the Urban Decay Naked Palette on which is my all time favourite, the reason this one sometimes wins is because there are more matte shades! Matte shades are so important and palettes never have enough matte shades, but this one has five!

3. It smells like chocolate!! Enough said!

4. It has a couple of colourful eyeshadows making it easy to create so many different eye looks.

5. Because of the pops of colour and matte shades it's a very versatile palette and can create a range of looks, from a natural daytime look to a dramatic evening look.

6. The packaging is so good! It's a metal tin case and closes magnetically making it easy to keep clean and easy to travel with.



Negatives:
1. Some shades can be hard to blend and they don't all have a creamy buttery texture.

2. This next point probably isn't a downside to most people, but it's definitely a downside to me. There is a plastic sleeve that has the eyeshadow names on which sits on top of the eyeshadows, hopefully you'll understand what I mean from the pictures. Because I film YouTube videos I need to know the names of the eyeshadows I'm using so I have to keep this plastic sleeve and it does get annoying having to take it out and put it back after I finished using the palette. I'm not 100% sure but I think they've changed this so if you buy this palette now the eyeshadows names are on the actual palette.

3. There are a couple of eyeshadows that I either find disappointing or I just don't reach for them, but this is always the case when you buy a palette. It's near impossible to make a palette where everyone likes every single shade and uses all of the eyeshadows an equal amount.


Eyeshadows:
Glided Ganache - is a warm dark brown with a golden bronze shimmer. In the pan it looks like it has a green undertone but on the eyes and in the swatch it doesn't look green at all, I was kind of disappointed by this because it would have been nice to have a green shade in the palette. This is one of my least used shades in the palette, I'm not really sure why because it is a really beautiful colour but it just doesn't stand out to me. This shade has a more dry rough texture and can have some fall out but does have quite good pigmentation.

White Chocolate - is a pale beige and has a matte finish. The shade is perfect for a base eyeshadow, to set eyeshadow primer or as a more natural and subtle highlight on the brow bone and inner corner. The texture is very smooth and has good pigmentation for such a light matte shade. This eyeshadow is one of the larger eyeshadows and this is such a good thing in my opinion because I use this shade every time I use this palette.

Milk Chocolate - is a warm tone medium brown and has a matte finish. This shade is perfect as a crease or transition colour for any eye look, this shade is incredibly easy to blend out and has a really soft and smooth texture. This is one of my most used shades from the palette.

Black Forest Truffle - this shade is a deep purple/burgundy with a pink shimmer running through it. This shade is basically the same as Glided Ganache in regards to the texture and finish. It has a drier rough texture and is also one of my least used shades. The pigmentation is good but does create quite a bit of fall out.

Triple Fudge - is a very deep dark brown that leans slightly warmer toned and has a matte finish. It has quite good colour pay-off for a dark matte shade and has a soft texture. I mainly use this shade either to darken and add more depth to an eye look or as a softer alternative to eyeliner on the upper lash line.

First Row - Gilded Ganache, White Chocolate, Milk Chocolate, Black Forest Truffle, Triple Fudge

Salted Caramel - is a light-medium orange brown that is extremely warm toned and has a matte finish. This is hands down my most used colour from the palette, it does look like a boring shade but it looks so much better on the eyes and is great for warming up any eye look. I use this shade mainly as a transition colour and it has a smooth texture and is really easy to blend.

Marzipan - is a warm tone rose gold/champagne colour in a shimmer finish and can look quite metallic when used with Fix+. This is another favourite shade of mine and this eyeshadow is gorgeous all over the lid or as an inner corner highlight. This eyeshadow also has an amazing smooth and buttery texture.

Semi-Sweet - is a warm tone medium-dark brown with a matte finish. As with the other matte shades in the palette it has a nice soft texture and is very easy to blend, it also has quite good pigmentation. This is another one of my most used shades as it's just the perfect shade, especially on my fair skin tone, to darken up the crease on any eye look.

Strawberry Bon Bon - is a cool tone light pastel pink with a matte finish. It has the soft finish of the matte shades but this shade in my opinion is the most disappointing regarding pigmentation. It just doesn't have any pigmentation and doesn't really show up on my skin tone. I think it would show up better on darker skin tones but I think it would still need to be built up quite a lot to get any pigmentation. This is definitely my least used shade in the palette and the only thing I would use it for would be to set my eyeshadow primer as it's more of a translucent powder than a light pink eyeshadow.

Candied Violet - is a muted cool tone purple with pink shimmer running through it. This shade is very similar to Glided Ganache and Black Forest Truffle as it has a more rough dry texture and this shade is also quite difficult to work with and is difficult to blend. This is another one of my least used shades. The pigmentation is sheer at first but can be built up to be semi opaque.

Amaretto - is a warm tone brown that has a very red undertone and to me it's looks a bit duo chrome. It has a soft and buttery texture with good colour pay off and is very easy to blend. I love wearing this shade all over the lid with Milk Chocolate and Semi-Sweet blended into the crease for a brown smokey eye but with a twist as it has a lot of red in the eyeshadow.

Second Row - Salted Caramel, Marzipan, Semi-Sweet, Strawberry Bon Bon, Candied Violet, Amaretto

Hazelnut - is a golden bronze brown with a soft metallic/frost finish. This shade has very good colour pay off and has a soft and buttery texture. I love using this shade in the same way as Amaretto however this is just more of a golden bronze smokey eye.

Creme Brulee - is a dark gold with a metallic/frost finish that becomes even more intense with Fix+. It has really good pigmentation with a soft and buttery finish. This is an amazing shade all over the lid and if you love gold eyeshadow you will definitely love this one!

Haute Chocolate - is a warm tone dark golden brown and in my opinion this shade has the best pigmentation and texture from this palette. The pigmentation is amazing! With one swipe it is completely opaque with a very frosty finish. This shade is also the softest to touch and is such a buttery shade and is so easy to blend. Even though this isn't my most used shade it's definitely my favourite!

Cherry Cordial - is a warm tone plum brown, this is a matte finish but it does have little pieces of glitter through it but once on the eyes you can barely see the glitter so I use this eyeshadow as if it was a matte eyeshadow. It has a soft texture and quite good colour pay off but is not as easy to blend as the other matte shades in the palette.

Champagne Truffle - is a cool tone champagne pink with a metallic/frosty finish. It has amazing pigmentation and has an extremely buttery texture and is so soft to touch. I like using this shade as an inner corner highlight because it's so frosty. This is the other eyeshadow that comes in a larger pan.

Third Row - Hazelnut, Creme Brulee, Haute Chocolate, Cherry Cordial, Champagne Truffle

I absolutely love this palette and like I said it's definitely in my top two eyeshadow palettes, if not my favourite palette. There are obviously negatives to this palette but there are always negatives to every palette. But in my opinion the positives completely outweigh the negatives and I would recommend this palette to everyone because I really think it should be a staple in everyone's collection and come on, the palette smells like chocolate!

I have linked a couple of makeup tutorials so you can see this palette in action! :)




This palette costs £39 and is available from Debenhams.

I hope this review was helpful!

Danielle xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment